Do any of you have this issue? You have an order for 100 cookies. Half are one color, half another. Dough is made, cookies are baked, no problem. Leftover dough in the freezer is never a problem because there are always cookies to bake.
Then it’s time to make the icing. And, if you’re anything like me, you run short just about mid-to-end of the project. So you have to remix and match that color. And it never does match exactly, does it?
So, the question is, how do you determine exactly how much royal icing it will take to ice those cookies? Especially if these are colors that won’t be used for another project?
Here’s how I do it. Get out your scale, a piece of paper & a pencil and, if you’re anything like me, a calculator.
1. Begin by making some royal icing.
2. Weigh an empty squeeze bottle (assuming that’s what you use to flood your cookies).
3. Fill the bottle and weigh it.
Yes, I know it’s a 2 ounce bottle, but as you can see, I fill it to the tippy-top. Subtract the weight of the empty bottle from the full bottle’s weight and presto! In this instance, the bottle hold 3 ounces.
4. Now, flood a cookie. One will do just fine, because it’s only a sample. If you’re like me, you’ll scrape this cookie because you’re cocky and forget to make extras.
5. Weight the bottle once you’ve flooded the cookie.
6. Subtract the amount left in the bottle from the full bottle’s weight. In this instance I converted the fraction to a decimal, so 2.625 is subtracted from 3.375. Answer: .75 or 3/4 of an ounce of royal covered the cookie.
7. Multiply that .75 by the number of cookies you need to flood, in this case, 100. 75 ounces of is what I’ll need to make 2 colors for this order.
It’s easy now. I make more icing, weigh out about 40 ounces (to account for mistakes that must be scraped), for each color and there I have it! I don’t have to worry about having too little of a color, or too much of a color. It’s just right.
How do you figure out how much icing you’ll need? Do you have a foolproof method that’s even easier than this one? I’d love to hear from you.